Shared principles and beliefs underpinning work of organization, and guiding actions and behaviours of staff. Human Genome’s Core Values reflect what we want to disseminate externally and, even more important, reflect the culture we feel is necessary to reach our strategic objectives. As a Human Genome representative it is important to be conscious on these values, act accordingly and produce work in line with them.
- Demonstrate the values of Human Genome
- Act without consideration of personal gain
- We are clear in the steps we take and the choices we make.
- There is nothing we want to hide. Not even our mistakes. We take pride in being personal, authentic and truthful. Especially to our own beliefs.
- Resist undue political pressure
- Stand by decisions in the organization’s interest
- Do not abuse power or authority
- Take prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behavior
We acknowledge the power of creativity, use our fantasy, instinct and wildest imagination. We think positive, invent our own means, are innovative, surprise people with ideas. And, while we’re at it, we surprise ourselves.
- We don’t mind how things are supposed to be done, we look for the way it could be done.
- Actively seek to improve the world for the better
- Offer new and different approaches to create access to genomic knowledge
- Promote and persuade others to consider new ideas
- Take calculated risks – think “outside the box”
- Take an interest in new ideas
- Do not be bound by traditional approaches
- We are contagious. Eager to share our energy, passion, absurdities, hopes and fears.
- We don’t have to be the first, but make sure others like to follow and join us.
- We give people the opportunity to participate. Better even; we give them a reason to get involved.
- We’re working hard for a better world and everybody can make a difference.
- We want to make it happen, make it stick and make it tangible. We want to be sure to make the most of something.
- We even make the most of nothing if that’s what it takes. But we always focus on the quality of our results and make them visible. To ourselves and others.
Respect for diversity
- Treat all people with dignity and respect
- We embrace each others differences.
- We are respectful and accessible to everyone who is involved, enthusiastic, or willing to contribute.
- Treat men and women equally
- Show respect for diverse points of view
- Examine own biases and behaviours
- Do not discriminate against any individual or group
Acting upon the following first principles
Access to Knowledge
- Creating access to genomic knowledge
- Unlock the hidden potential of the collective power of many unique genomes
- Stimulate better data sharing among scientific institutes and across borders
- Sharing data is multiplying knowledge
- Freedom of Science
- Freedom of science as the standard
- Stimulating freedom of science through best practices regarding data sharing
- Stimulating data-portability
Technological Awareness and innovation
- Keep abreast of available technology
- Understand applicability and limitations of technology
- Actively seek to apply technology to appropriate risks
- Show willingness to learn new technology
- Using knowledge about genomics to prevent diseases
- Protecting future generations. Our children, our future.
- Enabling people to share genomic data to save lives
- Improve genomics diagnostics